Multidisciplinary interaction designer, service designer, and leader with a focus on accessibility, inclusion, and harm reduction. Seeks remote work with potential for positive social, environmental, and/or scientific impact. Wants to live in the Star Trek future, not the Blade Runner one.
- Managed the entire product roadmap, user research pipeline, all product and service design tasks, and customer experience team until the company’s dissolution in April 2022
- Provided human-centered design education to executive team
- Served as primary point of contact for partner organizations contributing to our FOSS platform
- Supervised student research projects and individual open source community contributions
- Post-dissolution, continued to mentor students through research projects as needed
- Led the design of three student- and educator-facing products. Directly managed other designers.
- Served as the “Accessibility Czar” on Chegg’s design system committee
- Mentored junior designers; conducted prototyping workshops; spoke at internal conferences
- Facilitated the integration of UX into Agile development processes across multiple teams
- Wrote job descriptions, led evaluation and hiring of UX design candidates
- Developed and documented StudyBlue’s interaction design language
- Defined and implemented StudyBlue’s user research process: question definition, experiment design, participant recruitment, synthesis. Trained design team in research fundamentals.
- Owned UX for StudyBlue’s “learning tools” division (anything directly involved in the user’s experience of creating and studying content)
- Owned UX for the “investor” side of this P2P lending platform: conduct qualitative research together with dedicated researchers to inform design decisions and further quantitative research
- Architected, wireframed, and prototyped flows for Prosper’s responsive web app
- Served as scrum master on a cross-functional team of developers, designers, and researchers
- Trained product managers in agile backlog management and integrating UX research into sprints
- Conducted foundational user research on hyper-local crop-swap communities
- Prototyped early versions to gather user feedback and discover pain points before development
- Developed domain-driven design guidelines, providing a conceptual framework for engineers to understand, architect, and implement scalable solutions for the urban agriculture space
- Produced storyboards, information architecture docs, wireframes, comps, UI copy, and prototypes
- Conducted qualitative user research using formal and informal methods
- Coordinated iterative improvements on aging physical security systems
- Designed student-facing services for receiving safe transit to, from, and around campus at night
- Managed 170 part-time workers: hiring/background checks, training, scheduling, payroll, performance evaluations, disciplinary measures, and mentorship
- Designed and developed a fully automated employment application pipeline for the department
- Produced informational videos about education policy reform initiatives for Rep. George Miller (CA-7) and congressional allies.
Intensive, project-based course covering a smorgasbord of current web technologies, which I’ll forego listing here lest the algorithms miscategorize me as a developer. In summary, I can code. You can see some of my projects at github.com/lshillman.
Focused on HCI research methods. Thesis defended with distinction: User-Centered Design in Virtual World Interfaces: A Human Factors Perspective on Third-Party Second Life Viewers
Design: information architecture, service design, flowcharts, service diagrams, wireframes, rapid prototyping, design systems, design sprints, visual accessibility, semantic accessibility, WCAG, a11y, ethical design, premortems, Black Mirror brainstorms. Tools: Axure RP, Adobe CS, Figma, Excel, VS Code
Research: stakeholder mapping, requirements analysis, literature reviews, ethnography, structured interviews, unstructured interviews, surveys, usability testing, RITE testing, basic statistical analysis, A/B testing, SWOT analysis
Process / Management: agile, scrum, lean UX, project management, time estimation, tradeoff navigation, mentorship, communication, writing, maintaining playful curiosity while analyzing problems through a critical lens